Summary: These days I’ve been trying to figure out how to get VLC to recognize MXF recordings, how to play MXF with VLC on Mac and Windows, but there is no-go. Can anyone kindly shed some light on this issue?
Hot search: MXF to MOV | MXF to iMovie | MXF to QuickTime | MXF to Avid Media Composer | MXF to FCP 7 | MXF to Aperture 3 | MXF to DaVinci Resolve
Material Exchange Format (MXF) is an open-standard container or a wrapper format for digital audio and video media. There are many camcorders use MXF format, like Sony XDCAM series, Panasonic P2 series and Canon XF series. Unfortunately MXF is not an easy format to handle both on Windows and Mac. In this article, we aim to offer you an easy way to help you play MXF with VLC media player freely.
VLC media player is the most successful free open source cross-platform multimedia player in Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. There are still many people encountered problems when playing MXF with VLC on Mac and Windows.
"I am using VLC to play some MXF files. The files play fine but it seems I cannot seek. Whenever I try to click to a position on the scrollbar the video will freeze and jump to the beginning. I am wondering is this a known issue?"
If you tried to play MXF with VLC on Mac and Windows, you may probably run into the same situations as mentioned above. To be able to make MXF files viewable on a Mac or a Windows PC through VLC, you are suggested to transcode MXF to a format that is suitable for your media player. This requires third party software like Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac. (Windows version)
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.com/mxf-converter-mac/
- AppStore Download: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pavtube-mxf-converter/id502807634?mt=12
- Amazon Download: http://www.amazon.com/Pavtube-MXF-Converter-Mac-Download/dp/B00QID8K28
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-MXF-Converter/3000-2194_4-76177789.html
Below is the simple guide about how to play MXF with VLC on Mac and Windows.
Step 1: Backup your MXF files to hard drive. Install and launch MXF Video Converter for Mac. Drag and drop MXF files to the software. You can import multiple files at once thanks to "Add from folder" button.
Step 2: Click the drop-down list in the format line to get the format box. Then choose "HD Video>>H.264 HD Video (*.mp4)" as output format.
Step 3: You can adjust the parameters by clicking "Settings" button, choose the resolution, bitrate, frame rate and etc. as you want.
Step 4: You can preview to check the final result. Once you are satisfied with it, click the "Convert" button to start converting MXF files to H.264 HD Video MP4 for playing with VLC flawlessly. It will take you a little while.
Conclusion: Once the conversion process shows in 100%, click "Open" to get the output videos. Now, you can play MXF with VLC on Mac and Windows without any issues.
- Import P2 MXF Files to Avid Media Composer 8 for Editing on Mac
- Good Advice on Playing XC10 4K MXF on Yosemite/Windows 10
- Panasonic AJ-PX800 H.264/AVC MXF to DaVinci Resolve 11
- Ikegami GFCAM HDS-V10 MXF to Avid MC Workflow
- Top 4 Best MXF Converter for Mac Review 2015
- Get Premiere Pro CC working with MXF from Panasonic AJ-PX800
- Guide on Editing Panasonic AJ-HPX3700 MXF in FCP X
- Ingest Sony PMW-300K1 Raw MXF Files to Final Cut Pro X
- Canon XF105/XF100 MXF to iMovie Workflow on Mac