From VideoLAN official website, we learn that MKV is really one of VLC Player supported video formats. Why we still have issues with MKV or HD MKV? Since MKV is a container format which can contain many tracks with different audio and video compression formats.
How to Make VLC Play MKV or HD MKV Well?
Install appropriate codec pack. There are various free codec packs online which will allow us to decode and play MKV files. The disadvantage of this approach is that you have to download a lot of codecs but if you are only trying to play one type of video file. Another shortcoming is these codecs not always work well.
If above solutions are not fit you or can't solve your issue, in this case, we highly recommend an ultimate and commonly used method to solve "VLC not playing MKV files" - convert MKV to VLC Player more compatible formats with Pavtube Video Converter / Mac Version Converter.
Hot Search: Why Use MKV for DVD/Blu-ray Backup? | Play MKV on Gear VR | Sync MKV Films to iTunes Library
Key Features of Pavtube Video Converter
- Convert MKV or HD MKV files to VLC Player supported formats like MPEG, AVI, ASF, WMV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, FLV, MXF, etc;
- Convert MKV, 720p MKV files and 1080p MKV files with AC3 codec or with 5.1 channels to VLC Player for playback smoothly;
- Convert MKV or HD MKV with subtitles to VLC compatible formats in order to play MKV files successfully;
- Convert any other video formats to enjoy them in VLC like Xvid, DivX, MOD, TOD, WTV, AVCHD, MTS, WebM, etc;
- Convert almost all kinds of audio formats like MP3, WAV, AAC, AC3, FLAC, DTS, WMA, ALAC, APE, M4B, OPUS, VOC, CAF, AIFF, etc to VLC;
- Convert any video to popular video and audio formats or convert any audio to famous audio formats;
- Edit MKV files before conversion such as trim, crop, split, merge, adjust bitrate/sample rate/volume, change audio channel, and add effect/subtitle/watermark.
How to Convert MKV to VLC Formats
First free download and install Pavtube Video Converter on your Mac or Windows, and then launch it. Now just follow the step by step guide to convert MKV to VLC Player.
Step 1 Import MKV files
Just drag and drop MKV file to the main interface of the program to add MKV file. If you have several MKV files that you want to convert in batch, just drag the folder where the MKV files are to the software.
Step 2 Set output format
Click "Profile" drop-down button to select "Matroska Video (*.mkv)" as output format from "General Video" category. If your source file is HD, please choose output format from "HD Video" category.
Step 3 Convert MKV to VLC format
Now, simply click the big "Convert" button to start and finish MKV to VLC conversion with fast speed and high output quality.